Foundation of Mathematics aims :
• To further your knowledge of basic mathematics
• To help you understand how increased subject knowledge underpins the teaching of mathematics;
• To help you see how different areas of mathematics relate to each other and how this provides coherence and progression;
• To help you understand how people, of all ages, learn mathematics;
• To help you develop confidence in your own mathematics and to become more familiar with its language;
• To help you appreciate the power of modern technology as a mathematical tool.
- Apply modern technology in an efficient manner to:
- execute a comprehensive range of arithmetic calculations, together with the ability to make sensible estimates and to employ a range of techniques for checking the accuracy of results.
- manipulate elementary algebraic functions and draw their graphs.
- evaluate statistical functions and draw some statistical graphs.
- Represent statistical data pictorially, especially by drawing histograms and scattergrams from self-collected data.
- Calculate fundamental measures of central tendency and dispersion.
- Understand some basic principles of problem solving and investigations using a variety of methods and resources.
- Have an appreciation of some modern mathematics useful in today’s world.